Sons of Confederate Veterans
Sons of Confederate Veterans camps were formed in South Carolina as early as 1894. The SCV was organized nationally in 1896 during the United Confederate Veterans convention in Richmond Virginia. "Pickens Camp 71" was chartered in 1898. Over the course of the years Camp 71 became inactive. On October 10, 1991 Camp 71 was re-activated by a group of men from Pickens County. The name chosen for the re-activated camp was, 2nd South Carolina Regiment Pickens. This name retained the name of the original camp and added the unit in which many of our member's ancestors served.
It is our good fortune to have a dedicated Ladies Auxiliary. A lady must be related to or engaged to a camp member in good standing to qualify for membership in the Auxiliary . These ladies are very active in supporting the goals and all programs of the camp. We consider them to be modern "Heroines of Dixie".
The Pickens Camp supports the Pickens County Library System through the donation of books. This work is possible through donations by members of camp 71. Members of the Pickens Camp take an active part in reenactments and living history encampments. Members also present the SCV at community festivals such as the Azalea Festival in Pickens. Through these avenues members are able to share the true history of the South with their own generation and prepare the next generation to carry on the struggle for truth.
A Declaration Statement is required of all applicants for membership in the camp. This statement affirms that he does not belong to the KKK, NAACP nor any group that believes in racial superiority or the violent overthrow of the Constitution of the United States. Membership must be approved by the local camp.
Camp 71 usually meets the first Thursday evening of each month with the exceptions of a month in the summer when we have a camp picnic on Saturday and in December when we meet the 1st Saturday for a winter social. Our usual monthly meeting time is 7 p.m. in the American Legion Post in Pickens, South Carolina. The Legion Post is located at the end of Hagood Street. A program dealing with some aspect of the War Between the States is discussed.